Nacht und nebel
Nacht und nebel (NN) camps were labour camps with a very harsh regime. The prisoners mainly consisted of political enemies or a-social peoples. The nacht und nebel prisoners were a especially harsh calss of prison regimes. The people were to vanish in the night and mist (nacht und nebel). People mostly only lasted for 90 days till they died. Work consisted of hard physical labour for 12 hours a day, with not lot of food and rest during the time of duty. Captured resistance members were transported very quickly to nacht und nebel camps after their arrest. Family members were not informed about the prisoners whereabouts, fate or burial place.
Officially the prisoners did not exist. Therefore, it was very hard for goverments or humanitarian to guess what was going on or speak out jugdement. It prevented the nazis for being held accountable.
The 2 main NN camps were natzweiler and gross-rossen. The camps were constructed next to stone quarries. Usually day started at 5 AM with a appel, followed by a 12 hour working day. Both camps made granite blocks for the use in nazi architecture. NN prisoners could be recognized by the a white cros and the letter NN painted on their back. They helpen SS gaurs to easily guard and recognize them in contract to other prisoners.
Directives for the prosecution
Directives for the prosecution of offences committed within the occupied territories against the German State or the occupying power, of 7 December 1941.
Within the occupied territories, communistic elements and other circles hostile to Germany have increased their efforts against the German State and the occupying powers since the russian campaign started. The amount and the danger of these machinations oblige us to take severe measures as a deterrent. First of all the following directives are to be applied:
- Within the occupied territories, the adequate punishment for offences committed against the German State or the occupying power which endanger their security or a state of readiness is on principle the death penalty.
- The offences listed in paragraph I as a rule are to be dealt with in the occupied countries only if it is probable that sentence of death will be passed upon the offender, at least the principal offender, and if the trial and the execution can be completed in a very short time. Otherwise the offenders, at least the principal offenders, are to be taken to Germany.
- Prisoners taken to Germany are subject to military procedure only if particular military interests require this. In case German or foreign authorities inquire about such prisoners, they are to be told that they have been arrested but that the proceedings do not allow any further information.
- The Commanders in the occupied territories and the Court authorities within the framework of their jurisdiction, are personally responsible for the observance of this decree.
- The Chief of the High Command of the Armed Forces determines in which occupied territories this decree is to be applied. He is authorized to explain and to issue executive orders and supplements. The Reich Minister of Justice will issue executive orders within his own jurisdiction.